Saturday, July 27, 2013

Operation 9 months OFF!

So, before you have your first baby you are (read "I was") really concerned with losing the weight after baby, but you hear over and over how when you breastfeed the weight will just fall off! Unfortunately, for some people, that just isn't true - and when the weight comes off slowly you hear "it took nine months to put the weight on and it should take nine months to take it off" - but that didn't work out so well last time either.

After I had Owen, I lost 20 pounds within the first month, but then nothing. I gained and lost the same 5 pounds over and over until I got pregnant with Noah (still weighing in 15 pounds above where I was pre-Owen - and pre-Owen I was at the heaviest I had ever been). My body was determined to hold onto the weight while breastfeeding - I counted calories and stayed within my allotments and I exercised a little, but I just didn't lose the weight. And every time I started to cut calories a little more or exercise harder - I saw a significant drop in my milk production, and as I was barely pumping enough at work for Owen's bottles - I just couldn't risk doing anything that might diminish my supply, so I sucked it up and accepted my new weight. 

Then during my pregnancy with Noah, I gained another 35 pounds (the same amount I gained during my first pregnancy) - except this time - that meant I was up 50 pounds from my pre-Owen weight - and up 80 pounds from my goal weight - eek! 

Here I am just before and after Noah was born. 
 the day before I was induced, 2 days postpartum, and 3 days pp.
By the time Noah was 1 month old, I had managed to lose 30 pounds! Woohoo! And we decided to start working out (Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred - and Couch to 5k, C25K) at about 5 weeks pp. We took before pictures and measurements and weight and all that. Ready to go!

Before: 
(sorry, it's not pretty, but I want to be real here and I want to hold myself accountable - because it isn't ok for this to become the new normal!)

July 5th Measurements: 
Waist (smallest point): 35"
Hips (largest point): 45"
Arms: 12"
Thighs: 25"
Chest: 40"
Weight: +4.9lb (49.9lbs from goal weight) 

Now, over the last month, I have been counting calories using the MyFitnessPal app, tracking activity with my Fitbit, and using other apps to track runs/walks. We only managed to do 5 days of the 30 day shred over the last 22 days (haven't quit, just haven't been consistently able to fit it in) - and we've done 2 runs and about 5 walks. I've had a few days that I've gone over my calorie goal, but for the most part I have been consistently under my goal, but with the inconsistent exercise and my hormones, I haven't seen much success, so I knew it was time to put this out here and give myself the kick in the buns to get motivated and to be consistent enough to see the changes I want and need! I don't want to go too crazy because it is my goal to nurse Noah for at least a year (probably longer) but since I'm at home this time and not trying to rely on the pump we should be able to control my supply a little bit better (at least I'm hoping) - but it is already clear that I'm going to have to do a little more this time to make things happen. 

July 27th Measurements: 
Waist (smallest point): 34 1/2"
Hips (largest point): 44 1/2"
Arms: 12"
Thighs: 25"
Chest: 40"
Weight: +4.7lb (49.7lbs from goal weight) 

That's right, in 3 weeks, I only managed to lose .2 pounds and 1/2 an inch in my waist and hips with no changes elsewhere! Boo! In actuality, I have gained and lost the same four pounds about 3 times over the last 3 weeks with my weight ranging from +4lbs to +8lbs. So, I'm currently .7lbs higher than my lowest weight in the last few weeks, but that is a fairly small fluctuation. 

So, here is my current plan - which may change - First, to help myself stay motivated I need to have small reachable goals with tangible (non-food) rewards. 

Reach 0 point (post-Owen/pre-Noah weight): Get my eyebrows done
-5 pounds: Massage
-10 pounds: Manicure/pedicure
-20 pounds (pre-Owen weight): New woven wrap - a shortie 
-30 pounds: Haircut/color
-40 pounds: Overnight date/mini vacation 
-50 pounds (goal weight): New wardrobe (I'll need it!) 

My rewards get bigger/more expensive as we get farther, because I'm assuming it will get increasingly harder to lose the weight as I go, and I need something to look forward to...to help myself keep pushing - in the past I've always given up when I hit a plateau and I don't want to do that again! 

Second, how do I plan to do it: 

Activity Goals: 
1. Workout/video 3x/wk
2.  Run/walk 3x/wk - we just got an awesome double jogger! 
3. Stay under calorie goal 6x/wk (allow one "bad" day but don't go too crazy)
4. Reach 10,000 steps 4x/wk
5. Reach 10 flights of stairs every day
6. Drink 100oz of water/day

I'll update these goals as I make progress to make them harder or easier as needed. I've played with the idea of joining a gym, personal training, heart rate monitor, and/or joining Weight Watchers (how I reached my lowest adult weight) - but as of right now I want to try to do this for free, although I'm willing to invest money into it if I determine that doing it on my own isn't going to work. So, here we go - it took 5 years of teaching and two babies to put this weight on - but this time I'm going to make #operation9monthsoff work. 9 months on - 9 months off - so, I'm giving myself one more month to get the last of the baby 2 weight off and then 9 months to get to my goal weight. That means I should be there by Noah's first birthday! I'm planning on weekly accountability updates to show how I'm doing on my activity goals and to weigh in - we'll see how often I do the full measurements and photo updates, maybe monthly? Hold me to it, friends! It is more than time to make this happen!  


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...